SpecialistMichael
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience:  Senior Information Specialist
65186368
Type Your Question Here...

I have 2 holes in the wall of my apartment. How can I repair?

I have 2 holes in the wall of my apartment. How can I repair? The material is drywall
Category: General
Expert:  SpecialistMichael replied 5 years ago.
Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you in answering your question on finishing this small repair.

You will need a few materials relatively low in cost.

A small box cutting knife - to trim the edges of the hole(assuming these are larger than a couple centimeter
Wall joint compound
Sanding paper
Adhesive mesh - found any any local home improvement store
A joint putty knife.
Primer and paint- with brushes for each

If the holes are less around the size of a US nickel coin or smaller, you can use just the compound, putty knife, sanding paper and primer+paint.

-Trim the edges of the holes with the knife being sure to make the hole smooth with no loose edges

-Remove the adhesive mesh from its backer carefully and affix it across the hole ensuring full coverage, you may need to use more than 1 strip depending on the width you purchase or cut. Pull this relatively tightly across the hole so there is no slack. Press this firmly in place, if needed with the putty knife.

- Using the compound knife, stir the putty well and apply 1-3 three relatively light coats of the joint compound across the hole starting a couple inches above the hole, traveling across the mess and overlapping the other side of the whole. Ensure complete coverage and allow to dry completely between layers to ensure a firm hold. You can apply subsequent layers allowing them to dry until the mess is completely covered and hole filled - this is your main repair step.

- Once the last layer has dried, using your sanding paper sand down the excess joint compound with your sanding paper to ensure a smooth blend between the wall and the joint compound. Once you are satisfied move onto the next step. If you sand too far or into the mesh, simply apply another light layer, wait to dry and re-blend using the sanding paper. - You can alternatively purchase a sanding paper block so you have a good firm surface to sand with.

- Apply a couple of light coats of primer to the repaired area overlapping slightly with the wall to ensure another smooth blend. Allow each individual coat to dry completely

-Apply a couple light coats of paint of the walls color to the repaired area blending over the repair and primed area. Allow each individual coat to dry completely.

You then have a freshly repaired wall.

For the smaller holes I spoke of, you can simply trim if needed with the knife, use the joint compound without the mesh, sand when dried, then prime and paint - just like the larger repairs with the same drying and application times.