Anna, Teacher, writer, biologist
Experience:  Great research skills, variety of work experiences, teaching experience.
Type Your Question Here...

My orchid plant stop drinking water and I did not realize it

My orchid plant stop drinking water and I did not realize it so I over watered it and the leaves start turning yellow and die. I completely drained the pot and can see that some of the roots are black. What should I do or is it too late?
Category: General
Expert:  Anna replied 4 years ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this accident. If the roots are soft and black, it is too late. Once the roots are badly damaged, they cannot transport nutrients and water to the rest of the plant, and the plant dies. However, it cannot hurt to try to save the plant. Besides draining the pot, use paper towels to soak up as much moisture as possible. Cut back the dead parts of the plant. After that, all you can do is wait and see if the plant survives. I wish I could give you a certain way to save the plant, but unfortunately, with over watering there isn't one.

If you have more questions, let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope your orchid will beat the odds and recover.