Patience, Internet Researcher
Experience:  MA Clinical Psychology; BS Health Sciences
Type Your Question Here...

My husband has been thinking about living and working in Australia,

My husband has been thinking about living and working in Australia, in the Mines if he can Can you recommend a trust worthy company that helps people get work in the mines? eg 'Australia Mining' or not? & how much is enough to pay for that kind of service? We live in New Zealand.

Hi, I'm a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you're still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find an Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Yes I am still waiting for an answer for this general question.

Hi- Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question.

According to Ross Smith at Rosco's Mining Jobs Australia:

“Watch out for websites that ask for money in return for a mining job. Recruitment does not work that way.”

You can subscribe to Ross’ free 6-Day Mini-Course, "How to quickly get a Mining Job in Australia" at That can get you up to speed on how to start without costing you any money. You may or may not want to invest in the e-book connected with the website. You can just explore options on your own to begin with.

Experienced people with a minimum of 12 months experience in mining and possess a number of coal competencies will have the easiest time in terms of employment. People with relevant and recent experience are highly sought after, including TAFE accredited Certificates - level III or higher in relevant areas and previous experience operating heavy machinery.

On the other hand, options for people with no experience are somewhat limited. However, your husband’s luck will be better if you emigrate ahead of time and live close to where the mining operations are. He could also look into being a trainee if he does not have any formal experience in mining or related industries.

Check out the minimum requirements while going through mining job advertisements:

As your husband will see, it is important to have the necessary mining
tickets before applying to jobs, as most companies will not even interview those who do not meet minimum requirements.

The basic requirements include;
- Mining and Resource Contractors Safety Training accreditation (MARCSTA);

-Mine Workers Health Surveillance( MWHS)
- police clearance
- a pre-employment medical examination

It should come as no surprise that a First Aid qualification is necessary for positions in this safety-conscious industry. An HR licence will also open more entry level options.

Additional requirements in Queensland are:
- Generic Induction
- Coal Surface
- SGS induction

- Coal Board Medical

One encouraging note is that in general the mining industry is still booming! Good luck to you both in your endeavors. I'm happy to supply clarification if needed. Please click the green ACCEPT button so that I can receive credit for my work. Positive feedback and bonuses are always greatly appreciated!

Patience, Internet Researcher
Experience: MA Clinical Psychology; BS Health Sciences