Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

how to cook a beef roast to be tender

how to cook a beef roast to be tender
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and welcome back to Just Answer.

You can find great recipes for getting the most tender beef roast here:

Ingredients:
  • 3 to 3 1/2 lbs (1.3 to 1.6 kg) of Boneless Rump Roast (pick an end cut with a layer of fat if you can)
  • Olive oil
  • 8 slivers of garlic
  • Salt and pepper
(You will also need a meat thermometer)

Cooking Method:

1. Start with the roast at room temperature (remove from refrigerator 1 hour before cooking - keep it wrapped). Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).

2. With a sharp knife make 8 small incisions around the roast.

Place a sliver of garlic into each incision.

Take a tablespoon or so of olive oil and spread all around the roast.

Sprinkle around the roast with salt and pepper.

Place the roast directly on an oven rack, fatty side up, with a drip pan on a rack beneath the roasting rack. This arrangement creates convection in the oven so that you do not need to turn the roast. The roast is placed fat side up so that as the fat melts it will bathe the entire roast in its juices.

3. Brown the roast at 375°F (190°C) for half an hour. Lower the heat to 225°F (107°C).

The roast should take somewhere from 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours additionally, to cook at the lower temperature.

Please be aware that the shape of the roast will affect the cooking time; so if your roast is on the long and narrow side, versus a more round shape, it may take less time to cook. Keep an eye on it while it's cooking, so it doesn't get overdone.

When the roast just starts to drip its juices and it is brown on the outside, check the temperature with a meat thermometer. Take the roast out of the oven when the inside temperature of the meat is 135° to 140°F (57°C to 60°C).

Let the roast rest for at least 15 minutes, so juices will be retained, and tent in aluminum foil to keep warm, before carving to serve.

See more here:
http://simplyrecipes.com/recipes/roast_beef/

The key is to slow roast at a lower temperature, but always test the internal temperature of the meat with a meat thermometer to make sure it's cooked through.

Also, see the following great recipes for a tender beef roast:

http://www.ochef.com/343.htm

http://onestopcook.wordpress.com/2009/11/22/tender-and-juicy-roast-beef-dinner/

(this one also includes instructions for side dishes)

If you need additional information, please let me know by clicking 'Reply'.

If you have found this answer helpful, please click 'ACCEPT', as this is the only way I am compensated for assisting you today (although you have made a deposit/have a subscription, no payment is released to the Expert until you click 'Accept').

Positive Feedback and Bonuses are always welcomed and appreciated.

If you like my work and want to request me for future questions, please type 'FOR CHER' to begin your question.

Best regards,
Cher