SpecialistMichael
SpecialistMichael, MS, CSCS
Experience:  Senior Information Specialist
65186368
Type Your Question Here...

I run a small web-site for my old school www.parkstone-sts.co.uk and

I run a small web-site for my old school www.parkstone-sts.co.uk
and had the following question from a viewer:-
I have been trying to access the above story in your STORIES tab, but as soon as I click on your STORIES tab, it causes my Internet Explorer
Hi there, welcome to JustAnswer!

Your question was cut off after "...it causes my Internet Explorer"

If you could elaborate and complete it I would be happy to help you figure out the issue and answer your question.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi,This is the full e-mail that formed the question.
"I have been trying to access the above story in your STORIES tab, but as soon as I click on your STORIES tab, it causes my Internet Explorer to stop working. I can access all your other tabs without any problem. My operating system is WINDOWS 7. I have also tried accessing the story from a friend's WINDOWS XP computer, but still encounter the same problem. Please can you suggest a solution?"
Thanks, Richard.
Hi Richard,

There are actually tons of buggy "things" that can happen with internet explorer. First would be to make sure the browser is updated - There was a release that openly stated Win7 might crash just from running, downloading and installing them may improve it. Even completed up to date versions of IE can crash unexpectedly - moreso on non-windows computers though.

Next common issue would be the potential of any sort of spyware of viruses that could cause any sort of instability. Running a malware scan and a virus scan may show something even if newer programs were installed, they can sometimes come with "packaged" programs people do not want.

I would ask him to clear all of his cache, do the aforementioned scans, being sure that his browser and OS is up to date with the appropriate updates. If those do not clear it - the add-ons running with the browser might cause some instability.

Thank you very much for the accept.

Another thought that crossed my mind was the suggestion of switching over to Mozilla Firefox. It is considerably more stable for people with unstable IE situations, and seems to be considerably faster, while having some solid security features that the earlier versions of IE simply don't have. Perhaps you can suggest this to your customer as well. Firefox is an excellent browser, with stable add-ons.