Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
Type Your Question Here...

Can anyone point to evidence the Catholic Church was against

Can anyone point to evidence the Catholic Church was 'against care.package to begin with...." as a Catholic and a 63 yr old who needs some kind of national health care I listened with interest to the discussions and am pretty certain I would have known if the Catholic Church was against a broad based health care....I'm a swing voter who has most often voted democrat by far.....but I don't believe what I have seen some left wing people claim....that the Church was never for the health care package to begin with...even before this business with the morning after pill........if anyone can show me a credible news source that would substantiate that claim I would appreciate it
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome back to Just Answer.

The case wasn't that the Catholic Church was 'against' the health care package, but there was one item to which they were taking exception: the President said that the health care package is calling for employers to provide women with contraception at no cost. Religious-affiliated employers like hospitals, universities and non-profit organizations, were not exempt from the mandate, as places of worship like Churches and Synagogues were. However, after a large outcry and backlash from the Catholic population, President Obama announced recently, that a change when it comes to religious affiliated employers, will be enacted. He said: "These employers will not have to pay for or provide contraceptive services but women who work at these institutions will have access to free contraceptive services just like the other women."

Please read more, here:

If you need additional information, please let me know by clicking 'Reply'.

If you have found this answer helpful, please click 'ACCEPT', as this is the only way I am compensated for assisting you today (although you have made a deposit/have a subscription, no payment is released to the Expert until you click 'Accept').

Positive Feedback and Bonuses are always welcomed and appreciated.

Best regards,