JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Consultant
Experience:  Skilled at assisting with general information needs.
Type Your Question Here...

Can a cell phone tower affect a policemans radar dectector

Can a cell phone tower affect a policeman's radar dectector if it s located nearby? Thx
Category: General
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 4 years ago.
Hi and thank you for using JustAnswer!

Please clarify: was the officer using a radar detector or a laser gun?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The citation said Radar
Thank you. No, the cell phone tower will not have any effect on the accuracy of the police officer's radar reading.

Understand, not all radar beams are the same. The police radar is measuring its specific beam that bounces off your car (that was emitted from its machine).

Some folks will report that their radar detector went off when they were by a cell phone tower. However, your radar detector is designed to sense may different types of radar waves that it may come into contact with. This is different than how the officer's radar is set up. The officer's radar only emits one kind of wave and is designed to only read one kind of wave on the bounce back.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. If you have a follow-up question, please reply and ask it.

If you are satisfied that your question has been answered, kindly select the ACCEPT button to close this thread and so that I receive credit for assisting you today.
If you have other questions, you can ask me at Or there are also other Experts ready to assist you in a range of Legal specialties, Veterinary, Cars and others – you can reach them via the homepage.