Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Senior Informational Specialist
Type Your Question Here...

If I e-mail a firm in Canada about cancelling a magazine subscrip

Customer Question

If I e-mail a firm in Canada about cancelling a magazine subscription, what can I do if I continue to get the magazine.
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and welcome back to Just Answer.

If the company does not cancel your subscription, as you requested, and you continue to receive the magazine, all you can do is make sure they are not automatically taking funds out of your bank account or credit card to pay for the subscription you requested cancelled. If you did agree to an automatic debit from your bank account or credit card, make sure to let them know that any charges from the magazine company are not to be honored, and/or you might be forced to cancel your credit card and/or close that bank account and open a new one to avoid additional charges.

If you need additional information, please let me know by clicking 'Reply'.

If you have found this answer helpful, please click 'ACCEPT', as this is the only way I am compensated for assisting you today (although you have made a deposit/have a subscription, no payment is released to the Expert until you click 'Accept').

Positive Feedback and Bonuses are always welcomed and appreciated.

Best regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I didn't find this answer helpful.
Expert:  Cher replied 2 years ago.
I'll leave your question available to other Experts.
Expert:  Pennyaline replied 2 years ago.
How long ago did you email the magazine and ask them to cancel your subscription? Did the magazine offer any idea of how long it would take to process your request, either in a return email or in the publishing information section of the magazine itself? Does the magazine publisher say that it will cancel subscriptions and give refunds? How many more issues have you received since you made your request?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I called the magazine and since I bought it through an "agency" they can't cancel it. I was able to get the agency name; through the wonder of the Internet I was able to track them down to an address in Canada. I even found their Web page. I have yet to send them an e-mail. I want to put a forceful statement in the e-mail so that they know I am not kidding around.
Expert:  Cher replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,

The magazine is correct, that if the subscription was bought through an 'agency', they are the ones in control of accepting your payment and sending the magazines; however, the important point here is not that you are still receiving the magazines--they can keep sending the magazine as long as they want to--it's the payment that is the problem, but you have not given us any information about that. If they are 'automatically' deducting payment from your bank account or credit card, as I mentioned yesterday, and you ask them to stop your subscription, you do not want to renew, and not to continue taking money out of whatever payment source you originally gave them, they must stop doing that.

I experienced a similar situation, but I received an email telling me that my subscription was automatically renewed; I emailed them and told them I didn't want it anymore and my money was returned and the magazines stopped. The fact that you're dealing with an agency in Canada may pose a greater problem for you, but since you found their webpage and email address, definitely send them an email immediately, use forceful language (threaten legal action), and tell them to stop billing you and stop sending the magazines. You can also contact the Bureau of Consumer Affairs and the Attorney General of your State, if you get no satisfaction. As I mentioned, if you cut off the payment source, the magazines will stop.

I wish you much good luck!
Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience: M.A., B.A., Author, Senior Informational Specialist
Sadly, because of the way you purchased the subscription, there isn't anything you can do except let it run out. Be certain that they do not have authorization to renew automatically. If they do, contact your bank or whatever company handles your credit card and tell them that you are withdrawing authorization. If you receive a notice that the subscription will automatically renew (and they are required to send such a notice in plenty of time to allow subscribers to cancel if they want to) be sure to tell them that you do not wish to renew.