Martin, Engineer
Experience:  i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting
14666028
Type Your Question Here...

I guess that this would be a horticulture question, about several

I guess that this would be a horticulture question, about several trees on my property.

In 2009, I cleared about 1 acre out of a 5 acre mature wooded lot to build a house & driveway. The remaining trees made it thru 2009 & 2010, but in the very hot & dry summer of 2011 several had stress issues, with leaves browning & dropping 3 or 4 weeks early. There is an oak, a poplar, & a hickory. The oak & poplar are 100+ feet, with a narrow leaf canopy. Previously surrounded by similar sized trees, they are now at the edge of the tree line.

Is there any kind of root fertilizer or stimulant program that I could try for trees of this size?
Category: General
Expert:  Martin replied 4 years ago.
Hello, welcome to Just Answer.

The poplar should be fine. I have a big grove that was totally fine after a whole year without leaves. It's a pioneer tree that do well with the bark in full sun.

I don't think those tree will require more fertilizer (even if adding some will not be detrimental). The oak and hickory have really big root and can usually get deep water if the bed rock is not too close.

What probably happened is that they are now more subject to the sun and dry wind on their trunk and on the soil, so more evaporation happen. Until the branch adapt to this it will take time. The trees must have shed leaves to reduce the evaporation. The browning might be bacterial infection caused by the water stress and should not be present anymore in the spring with the new leaves arrival.

The root can get enough nutriment if they are 100 feet, they will get even more now with less tree. The problem is mainly a water problem. Mulch (at least as large as the canopy) or vegetation (like fern) would help a lot to keep the soil moist and allow the water to get in the soil when it rain.

I have lot tamarack the feet in water that lost all needle in a similar way this year because of the dry condition.

What you have to make sure is that they get plenty of water when new leaves get formed. Some trees like birch don't survive the type of disturbance you mentioned and fall by the wind or simply dry.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OK,

thanks.