Joan, Internet Researcher
Experience:  I believe that knowledge is Power! I would like to try to share my knowledge with others.
Type Your Question Here...

I found a catapillar like creature in my broccolli and took

I found a catapillar like creature in my broccolli and took it and the bunch it was hiding in to the park and threw the piece of broccolli into a bush next to a pond. I hope it wasn't a bad catapillar. At first I thought it was a centipede because it was long with a lot of legs but it wasn't fuzzy.....It looked like it may have had a segmented hard shell like a beetle. It was gray. I would like to know what it is. I've never seen one like it before. I looked up centipede and it doesn't have long spider legs like a centipede. I saw it both stretched out and curled up. It wasn't skinny like a centipede and it was fatter than catapillars I've seen here in the Tacoma Seattle area. I found some drawings on the internet and it looks kind of like a cata pillar except for what appeared to be a segmented gray shell. But that may have been an optical illusion. It had lots of little stubby legs. Does anyone have an idea of what it could be?

It sounds like you may have found a worm of some sort in the Pupae stage or Chrysalis stage. During that stage they will develop a harder outer shell that is segmented and go through the metamorphosis until it emerges as a beetle, moth or Butterfly.

This will give you an idea of what a super worm pupae looks like:

I am sure the one you may have found was bigger, but it does sound like a Pupae or Chrysalis of a beetle, moth, or butterfly. Joan