Steve, Consultant
Experience:  Sub vet, motorcycle enthusiast, Harley mechanic, father of 4 beautiful girls, educated in electronics and nuclear technology.
Type Your Question Here...

This is a question about insurance coverage. Im 78 years old,

This is a question about insurance coverage. I'm 78 years old, in excellent health and with no significant history of illness or injury. My insurance coverage is Medicare with supplemental coverage through AARP. I do not, however, have long-term care coverage.
My question is this: I am also a veteran. Does the VA offer anything that I am qualified for, and should be taking advantage of beyond my current coverage.
Thank you,
Harry Atkins
Category: General
Expert:  Steve replied 4 years ago.

Hi Harry,

Thank you for your service.

as an honorably discharged veteran, you have access to any VA health facility convenient to your location.

I am unsure if the rules have changed, but several years ago I was told a $15 copay would get me anything I needed.

the prescription cost at the time was around $24 for a 3 month supply.

the first thing you need to do is visit your local VA health facility. they will need to see your DD214 and will ask you to fill out a questionnaire regrading your income.

fees are based on your reported income and may be different from the figures I stated above.

once this is done, you will be issued a VA ID card and assigned to a primary care team.

the only other advice I can offer is to make an appointment for any required blood draw. this can mean the difference in 10 minutes in the waiting room, or hours least at the Reno VA Hospital.