Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
Type Your Question Here...

i had a jug of 0-40 engine oil leak all over my CARHART coveralls

i had a jug of 0-40 engine oil leak all over my CARHART coveralls !! how wood i get this oil stain out ?? i've washed them once with oxi-clean laundry soap but didn't get it out (did not put in dryer).....????????
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 4 years ago.
Hi, and welcome back to Just Answer.

My apologies that you did not receive an earlier answer, and I thank you for your patience!

You were very wise not to put the overalls in the dryer after washing, as this would have set the stain further. I am including instructions on several methods to get the stain out, below, but note that the first set of instructions apply to a fresh stain, only. Additional instructions apply to an already set stain either from washing or drying, or just being there for a while without washing.

Even though you've already washed the coveralls, I would recommend using the Dawn or other brand of super-grease cutting dishwashing liquid to rub into the stain and use a nail brush or toothbrush to help it penetrate better. However, it is very important to rinse out all the dish soap from the fabric before washing with detergent again, so you don't have overflowing suds coming out of your washing machine. Trying the pre-treating products like Shout or Tide might also do the trick.

Again, don't dry in the dryer until you're sure the stain is absolutely out of the fabric.

I wish you the best of luck and hope you are successful in removing the stain!

If you need additional information, please let me know by clicking 'Reply'.

If you have found this answer helpful, please click 'ACCEPT', as this is the only way I am compensated for assisting you today (although you have made a deposit/have a subscription, no payment is released to the Expert until you click 'Accept').

Positive Feedback and Bonuses are always welcomed and appreciated.

Best regards,