Mark, eConsultant
Experience:  General Expert
Type Your Question Here...

Is there a way to tell if firewood is seasoned? Is a dead tree

Is there a way to tell if firewood is seasoned? Is a dead tree I cut down already seasoned firewood?
No, a recently felled tree will not be seasoned even if it "appears" dead.

The duration of seasoning depends on the wood and for deciduous trees, when the tree was felled. The sap of deciduous trees moves to the roots in the winter, so trees felled in winter have a much lower moisture content to begin with, and so will be seasoned more quickly. In general, pine and other soft woods require around 6 months to season, while hardwoods such as oak require a year.

There are two theories on the covering of wood during the seasoning process. You must decide for yourself which theory you wish to follow. One theory is cover the wood to prevent the rain and snow from entering the center of the stack and gathering there. However, within the firewood community, another theory holds that you do not have to cover your wood at all--ever. Just leave it out there in the weather and it will season just as well as if you covered it.

I hope this information is helpful and let me know if you need further assistance with this.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The dead tree I felled was a deciduous tree so I assume the sap went south a long time ago but you suggest it still needs 6mos to season?
Yes, it can still take up to six months after it is felled to fully season.