Patience
Patience, Internet Researcher
Experience:  MA Clinical Psychology; BS Health Sciences
61840635
Type Your Question Here...

I have heard that Surrey have introduced GP Break Money for

I have heard that Surrey have introduced GP Break Money for Carers (unpaid) to ensure that can carry on with looking after their relatives with various disabilities. This money can be used in the form of a short respite break by paying for the cared for to be looked after and paying for the carer to have a holiday. Could this money also be used for the carer to have gym membership instead to keep healthy? GPs are currently signing up to this scheme and about 50% of Practises have already signed up in Elmbridge, Surrey.  I am a carer for my husband with no other help who had a stroke with left side paralysis 20 yrs ago is 80yrs old in a wheelchair is insulin diabetic, high blood pressure and has an enlarged prostrate. He weighs 105 kgs.  I need to carry on looking after him and feel I need to keep fit but cannot afford to go to the gym as we are both pensioners.
Category: General
Expert:  jomo1972 replied 2 years ago.
What would you like to know about this?
Expert:  Patience replied 2 years ago.

Hi- Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question!

Good news--it is quite likely that there is money available for you to get a gym membership! Direct Payments to Carers are being offered by Social Care. The Direct Payment is used to help with the cost of training, equipment, recreation, or respite for carers and their families.

There is also a program with funding for one off direct payments of up to £1000. For a Carers Assessment to look at your various options, please make an appointment to talk to your Care Manager or Social Worker. Or you can contact the Surrey County Council Contact Centre at 08456 009009.

Congratulations on taking care of yourself and seeking a break. It is well known that being a carer, especially long-term, can add a lot of stress to your life and health. For example, carers may not get enough physical activity or eat a balanced diet, and this increases vulnerability to problems, such as heart dis­ease and diabetes. The emotional and physical demands involved with being a carer can strain even the most capable person. That's why it's so important to take advantage of the help and support available to you.

I am happy to supply clarification as needed. Please click the green ACCEPT button so that I can receive credit for my work. Positive feedback and bonuses are always greatly appreciated!

Patience, Internet Researcher
Experience: MA Clinical Psychology; BS Health Sciences