Patience
Patience, Internet Researcher
Experience:  MA Clinical Psychology; BS Health Sciences
Type Your Question Here...

does anyone know why theres been virtually no news as to

Customer Question

does anyone know why there's been virtually no news as to what the future holds for basic health program in State of Washington? and if the answeris there's been no action or discussion by the legislature, why aren't the journalists here not pinning the legislators to the wall?Why the silence? Are the people who affected going to have any notice? Why haven't the journalists been writing about what the consequences of the legislators inaction will be? Most of the working poor I know are frantically trying to stay afloat and have no time to research what is going on ? Why don't journalists put the matter in front of us?
Category: General
Expert:  Angela--Mod replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find an Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

Expert:  Patience replied 2 years ago.

Hi- Washington is my home state. The Basic Health Plan here has a current enrollment of about 35,066 people. This number is XXXXX from nearly 81,000 people who were on the plan a year ago. Open enrollment for the 2012 program ended on November 4th, 2011 with no slots for new applicants available, except for those in special circumstances. This left about 152,893 people on the waiting list. So obviously there is a great unmet need.

Recently, about 11,000 people who were kicked off the program without sufficient notice will be allowed to re-enroll after a federal court judge said the state likely had violated their constitutional equal-protection rights. That’s considered a victory. However, this will make the upcoming funding for the program even tighter. That story has been reported. Most other stories in the past few months have been more about cuts and the possible closure of the program. Although there’s a lot of behind-the-scenes politicking going on, but not much new is happening.

However, the expansion of the federal health-care system is still due to take place in 2014. Most of those removed from or unable to get Basic Health will be eligible for federal funds and getting health insurance through a state-managed healthcare system. In other words, legislators and many others think that the new federal and state systems will be able shore up the Basic Health program. Right now we’re in the “wait and see” phase of things. Unfortunately, that leaves potentially affecting thousands who need health insurance at risk

I'm happy to supply clarification if needed. Please click the green ACCEPT button so that I can receive credit for my work. Positive feedback and bonuses are always greatly appreciated

Patience, Internet Researcher
Experience: MA Clinical Psychology; BS Health Sciences
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Please understand I get health insurance in order to not lose the meager assets I have worked all my life for while I subsidized others, particularly teachers. I am now 63 and unable to get the type of job that has health insurance. I don't care what happens in 2014. I don't want to lose my property because of lack of insurance. At my age it's impossible to pay outrageous amounts because I have a meager income from a rental which is substantially below the poverty level(about 1/3 of federal poverty level). What I want to know is why there is not discussion at the legislative level. I've been scouring the internet for legislative discussion. What are they doing? Are they planning to give everybody the slip at the last moment? At any given time only as small percentage of people are sick...And most are willing to play russian roulette with what they own. (The biggest cause of bankruptcy remains medical costs. The question is, when will the discussion take place and since it has not yet taken place , why are the news agencies not pressing the point? What are the legislator's doing?
Expert:  Patience replied 2 years ago.

I am so sorry to here you are having challenges and worrying about your health! Unfortunately, the economic downturn causes problems that are the worst for the people who are the most vulnerable.

There's not much that can be done except to go after other sources of revenue elsewhere. (See the following response I made about those other sources: http://www.justanswer.com/general/5qb3n-does-anyone-know-alternatives-canceling.html)

I recommend viewing XXXXXXX XXXXX's "Sicko." He tells it like it is about this subject. However, it can be disapointing to realize how deeply the problem goes.

I think they are the legislators are just hoping that things will turn out well in the end. That's too bad. But there are some grassroots efforts: If you are on Facebook or can use someone else account to explore it, there is a group there called Friends of Basic Health who have a lot of up-to-date media information. They are at: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Friends-of-Basic-Health/107308046911.

Bless you and good luck!