Patience
Patience, Internet Researcher
Experience:  MA Clinical Psychology; BS Health Sciences
Type Your Question Here...

Hello-our home was had an ozone treatment where they over did

Customer Question

Hello-our home was had an ozone treatment where they over did the amount and has smelled so badly for 2monthes, we are wondering what items in the home are unusable or deteriorating, and which ones will be okay and how is the best way to get the air breathable again?
We have been living elsewhere for 2 monthes and as yet the insurance company has not settled with me!
Category: General
Expert:  Patience replied 2 years ago.

Patience :

Hello- Welcome to Just Answer! Thanks for your question.

In the process of reacting with chemicals indoors, ozone can produce other chemicals that can be irritating and corrosive. For example, when ozone is mixed with chemicals from a new carpet, the reaction may produce aldehydes. In addition to aldehydes, ozone may also increase indoor concentrations of formic acid. Both of these can irritate the lungs.

Ozone is purported to be able to break down paint, carpeting and pads, plastics, rubber, PVC, and vinyl, into some toxic particles. This also includes synthetic clothing fibers. Ozone mixed with consumer cleaning products can also get broken down into toxic byproducts .

Some people have reported a way to remove ozone byproduct residues successfully. The "bake-out" method is a technique of forced off-gassing. It consists of heating the entire house to 80 degrees for a full 12 hours overnight. The heating should then be alternated with 12 hours of airing out of the house with fans and blowers to bring fresh air inside. This needs to be done for 24 hours, 7 days/week and continued for 3 weeks straight. Obviously you should not go back inside during the forced off-gassing. BTW have someone who is not so susceptible to the fumes do the opening and closing up of the house.

Recommended reading- Home Safe Home by Debra Lynn Dadd: http://www.amazon.com/Home-Safe-Debra-Lynn-Dadd/dp/087477859X#reader_087477859X

Let me know if you need any further help. Please click the green ACCEPT button so that I can receive credit for my work. Positive feedback and bonuses are always greatly appreciated!

Customer :

I am just wondering if when you say PVC if that is plumbing too? How about wiring coated in vinyl? Do appliances survive and what about paper and books do they deteriorate? Since it has been so long when they test for gasses now that they finally have will the readings still be accurate? And in Portland Oregon where can I get a test kit to test for these gasses? And can you reccomend anyone who can do this type of cleanup?

Patience, Internet Researcher
Experience: MA Clinical Psychology; BS Health Sciences
Expert:  Patience replied 2 years ago.
Hi again! Sorry, I had to be away from my desk for an extended time.

At this point, you probably need to consult with someone who has more in-depth knowledge. Please click on the link to go to the write-up I did on the info you requested. That will at least get you started.

Good luck to you on getting things worked out! If you have future questions of a general nature, please do not hesitate to contact me.

My best regards, Patience

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
why the info is not available from your site?
Yes I did order the book you are talking about-but the specific questions I have are not answered there! Any ideas?
This is urgent! This is my home-and insurance companys not playing fair!
Expert:  Patience replied 2 years ago.

Hi again! I am sorry that you did not get my response to your 2nd set of questions. There seems to be a bit of a glitch on the site. I will repeat it and this should get to you. Just click on the following link: Further Info

I feel bad for you that you are having so much difficulty! I hope the attached info will put you on the path to getting your house and life back.

If the ACCEPT button does not come up with the response this time, you can send any additional monies for the 2nd part of your question to me as a bonus if you wish.

May fortune smile on you and your endeavors, Patience