Anna
Anna, Teacher, writer, biologist
Experience:  Great research skills, variety of work experiences, teaching experience.
6012901
Type Your Question Here...

is there any differance in text between latin gospel and englih

is there any differance in text between latin gospel and englih gospel on a day to day basia
Category: General
Expert:  Anna replied 4 years ago.

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just came online and saw your question.

There will be many differences between editions of the Bible in different languages. Translators try to keep to the spirit and intent of the original and tell the stories accurately. However, each language has words the others don't, so exact translations are not possible. The Bible was originally written in Hebrew, then it was translated to Greek. It wasn't until the second to fourth centuries A.D. that Latin translations were attempted. At each step, there were several different versions that varied from each other. Finally, the Bible was translated from Latin to English, and of course other languages, such as German, French, etc. Modern readers are at the mercy of all the translators throughout the years when it comes to accuracy. There are bound to be differences in individual words, sentences, and paragraphs, but we can assume that the basic content is the same in spite of this. You can read a history of Bible translations here:

http://www.historyworld.net/wrldhis/PlainTextHistories.asp?historyid=ac66

It's interesting reading. I hope this helps.

Anna

(If you find my answer helpful, please click on the green ACCEPT button. Thank you.)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
can different gospels be read in catholic churches on the same sunday????
Expert:  Anna replied 4 years ago.
I'm working on your answer and will post it shortly. Thank you.

Anna
Expert:  Anna replied 4 years ago.
The Catholic church has a calendar that schedules the gospel readings, so they should be the same in each church. However, mistakes can be made. There is a three-year cycle to the schedule, rotating through the gospels, and if a particular church erred as to the cycle, a different gospel might be read. You can see the schedule here:

http://www.easterbrooks.com/personal/calendar/index.php

You can read details about the cycles the Church uses here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lectionary

Let me know if you need anything else.

Anna