Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Senior Informational Specialist
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

I have a clothing question and dont know who else to ask.

I have a clothing question and don't know who else to ask. There may be a Web site on this, but if so, my simple Googling hasn't turned it up.

I am short (4 foot 11), petite although still a few pounds overweight (wear a size Small tshirt), and desperately need a black tank/cami to go under a gorgeous sweater I just bought which has a plunging neckline. The neckline works low for going out at night, but it's way too revealing for work.

The tanks and cami's I've tried on occasionally (including a few in 2 different stores last week) all come down too low on me to be of sufficient help with this sweater. And when I adjust their straps to raise the front, they bite into my underarms.

Is there a garment name, style, store, etc. that might have some sleeveless black knit article with a straight/boat/slightly scooped neckline and whose coverage begins higher up on the straps? (Don't suggest a turtleneck. I have one, and it looks bad with this sweater.

Thanks for whatever guidance you can give me.
--B. Craig-Schniepp
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and welcome back to Just Answer.

I've seen tv commercials for this product and I think it may solve your low cut sweater problem:

If this is not what you were looking for, please let me know and I will continue searching for you.

If you need additional information, please let me know by clicking 'Reply'.

If you have found this answer helpful, please click 'ACCEPT', as this is the only way I am compensated for assisting you today (although you have made a deposit/have a subscription, no payment is released to the Expert until you click 'Accept').

Positive Feedback and Bonuses are always welcomed and appreciated.

Best regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I, too, had seen those advertised on TV and forgotten about them. So thanks for that reminder. I will probably order some, as they will be handy in many situations. They won't work for this sweater, however, because of the lace top. The sweater itself has a busy pattern, and I think I need something smooth (not ribbed), untrimmed at the neck, and plain black. to not detract from the sweater. I've just looked at quite a few "shells" on EBay and LLBean, but it's so hard to tell how high up the fabric comes. So if you have any further suggestions, they'd be welcome.
Expert:  Cher replied 2 years ago.
Hi again, and you're most welcome.

I'm glad this item will be useful to you, even if you feel you can't use it with this particular sweater. Even though the sweater's pattern is 'busy', the amount of lace at the very top of the cami insert is so minimal, it may not look bad at all; but I understand completely, what you're saying.

I will continue to research this for you. I know I have seen the type of cami you're thinking of! : )

I'll be back in touch with you as soon as I find another one.

Best regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for continuing to check into this. I briefly considered a tshirt, but just now when I tried one on with the sweater, not only did the scoop neck not look quite like what I want (although in a pinch it will do), but the sweater's sleeves are so formfitting that the tshirt sleeves bunched up.

I appreciate all your research and ideas and will look forward to your next suggestions. This may seem like a lot of fuss over trivia, but I recently lost enough weight to have a shape again and this amazing sweater makes me look HOT! I haven't felt that for too long. So I'm eager to wear the sweater in as many situations as possible.

Expert:  Cher replied 2 years ago.
Hi again, and you're more than welcome!

I don't think this is trivial at all! If you worked hard to lose weight and this sweater makes you look HOT, I understand completely, it's importance to you! : ) Yes, a t-shirt under the sweater is too bulky, especially if it is formfitting!

I'll be back in touch when I find something that will be a good fit with the sweater.

Best regards,
Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,

See if anything here would be good for you:

Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience: M.A., B.A., Author, Senior Informational Specialist
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I think the Gap tshirt might work!! It seems to be very thin, so the sleeves shouldn't be a problem. And judging by where the neckline is in relation to the models' collarbones & breasts, it's higher than the other two and higher than any; others I've looked at. I'm going to order one and accept your answer. Thank you.
Expert:  Cher replied 2 years ago.
Hi again, and you're most welcome!

Thanks very much for your reply, accept and most generous bonus! It was my pleasure to work with you.

I'm so glad you feel the Gap t-shirt might work out for you! Yes, I felt it might, due to the features you mentioned, and beause it's short sleeved and a thin material, you won't have the problem you had with the other t-shirt bunching up under the sweater.

Please let me know how it fits and looks with the sweater, after your order arrives? Thanks!

Best regards,
Cher