JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Consultant
Experience:  Skilled at assisting with general information needs.
Type Your Question Here...

I will be 66 this June and I want to draw my social security

I will be 66 this June and I want to draw my social security what month should i apply and how much can I make a year with out pentaly
Category: General
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer!
If you live to the average life expectancy for someone your age, you will receive about the same amount in lifetime benefits no matter whether you choose to start receiving benefits at age 62, full retirement age, age 70 or any age in between.
However, monthly benefit amounts can differ substantially based on your retirement age.
Basically, you can get lower monthly payments for a longer period of time or higher monthly payments over a shorter period of time.
Thus, the longer you wait, the higher your social security payment will be.
With respect to outside work, the Social Security Administration says:

"When you reach your full retirement age, you can work and earn as much as you want and still receive your full Social Security benefit payment.."

You may find this link to be informative:

As you probably know, you have reached full retirement age at 66. Thus, you should have no penalty for outside work.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. If you have a follow-up question, please reply and ask it.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will turn 66 in late June in what month should i apply so I can begin drawing at or after 66
You can apply within 3 months of your 66th birthday for the benefits to start when you turn 66.