TaxTom
TaxTom, Internet Researcher
Experience:  Years of experience of finding questions for employeers, family and friends.
21049508
Type Your Question Here...

I have an antique baseball mitt. It smells like mold

I have an antique baseball mitt. It smells like mold or mildew, but shows no signs of either. I have tried soap, saddle soap, and a couple of leather cleaners, but the smell remains. How can I get rid of the moldy smell without harming the leather? xxxxx x. xxxxx, Jr. [email protected] xxx xxx xxxx

TaxTom :

Hello, put it in a sealed plastic container with charcoal like you used for grilling. Use a large enough container so that the charcoal doesn't touch the mitt. Once you get most of the smell out then put in the dryer on low heat with a dryer sheet. Thanks Tom

Customer:

I'll give it a try. Any guess about how long to keep the mitt next to charcoal? I also have some antique books with leather bindings. I'll give your suggestion a try with those.

TaxTom :

Try it over night, if there is still an odor then changed out the charcoal and do it again.

TaxTom :

On the books if the pages are musty you can try sprinkling baking soda on to the pages, leave it only 2 or 3 hours at a time before changing

Customer:

Thank you very much, Tom. I will let you know how it works out.

TaxTom :

Thanks and your welcome