Ellen, Consultant
Experience:  attorney and legal researcher
Type Your Question Here...

How can I remove squatters from a residential listing? (Oakley,CA

How can I remove squatters from a residential listing? (Oakley,CA 94561)
Category: General
Expert:  Ellen replied 4 years ago.

internetanswers :

Welcome to JustAnswer,

So sorry to hear of this dilemma. If my answer is not clear to you or does not fully answer your question, please ask me for clarification by using the reply button.

To remove the squatters from the property, California law requires a judicial eviction.

You cannot legally lock them out without a court order. Regardless of whether an occupant pays rent or has a lease, California law requires that they be treated as a tenant. A landlord who acts to simply change the locks may be liable for both civil and criminal penalties.

The first step is to terminate there occupancy with the written Notice of Termination. If they fail to vacate the premises after the required notice, you will need to file an unlawful detainer action to evict them.

Where can I find what costs are involved? This is a short sale, waiting on the Bank to agree to a sale. (2 offers in hand) but owner has no money and I cannot fund this either. Hopefully the Bank will eventually allow the sale and the incoming owner can get this resolved prior to closing escrow.

internetanswers :

You may download the forms, instructions and costs at this link: Evictions (Unlawful Detainer)

internetanswers :

I think this is what you wanted to know. Please use the REPLY button if you have any questions concerning my answer. Otherwise please click ACCEPT so that I am paid by the site for answering.