Patience
Patience, Internet Researcher
Experience:  MA Clinical Psychology; BS Health Sciences
61840635
Type Your Question Here...

what is the best way to get rid of squirrels?

Category: General
Expert:  Mr. Gregory White replied 2 years ago.
Are they in the home?
Expert:  Patience replied 2 years ago.

Hi- Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. What a drag for you! I'm sorry you are having problems with squirrels. Getting them out of the inside of your home could involve any or all of the following: removing baby squirrels, trapping adult squirrels, blocking of points of entry, making use of a repellent, and cleaning up wastes and repairing damages. Since it can be such a complex process, you may be best served by calling in a professional. The following is a directory by state of possible help: http://247wildlife.com/wildlifetrapperdirectory.htm

However, the professionals' prices (approximately $250 - $500) may be too steep for you. The simplest solution to start with is spraying a repellent into holes and crevices where the squirrels have gotten in. There are various squirrel repellents, such as Ropel Animal and Rodent Repellent. They can be found at your local hardware store. Many people have found other solutions such as using fox urine (available from a hunting store) . Moth balls or hot peppers have also been recommended.

That might be all that is needed, but usually further intervention will be required. Fortunately, squirrels have to go in and out several times a day to eat and drink. Therefore, putting in a one-way door can effectively get rid of squirrels. When they go out, they won't be able to get back in. To be certain to keep them out, find and seal all openings, including the chimney, if there is one. Remember squirrels can get into very small openings. To make sure everything is squirrel-proof, cover holes and vents with steel mesh wire and nail or bolt it down tight.

Exclusion is not always the best option, and the squirrels must be trapped and removed. In many towns, the animal control officer will come out to help catch the squirrel for free or for a donation. You can at least call and ask for advice. That's usually always available and free. If you're doing the trapping yourself, live catch traps can be purchased online or bought or rented from a hardware store. You may also be able to rent them from either animal control, the SPCA, or the Humane Society, depending on your location. Put the trap near where you think the squirrel or squirrels are living. It should be checked daily to quickly remove the squirrel.

Once trapped, the squirrels need to be humanely relocated. And since they seem to have an uncanny ability to find their way back, you need to take them somewhere many miles away into the outdoors. Caution: Don't touch the animals and wear heavy leather gloves when handling the cage. You should continue to use the trap for at least a week or two to make sure you've gotten rid of all the unwelcome visitors.

If the squirrel problem is limited to outdoors, you can try the repellents or traps as outlined above. It's also important to remove or make unreachable sources of food such as bird feeders. Try calling the Animal Control Office. They may be your best bet for help!

I'm happy to supply clarification if needed. Please click the green ACCEPT button so that I can receive credit for my work. Positive feedback and bonuses are always greatly appreciated!

Patience, Internet Researcher
Experience: MA Clinical Psychology; BS Health Sciences