Mr. Gregory White
Mr. Gregory White, Teacher
Experience:  M.A., M.S. Education / Educational Administration
46856550
Type Your Question Here...

I made pot roast in the crock pot last night. When we were

I made pot roast in the crock pot last night. When we were finished eating I unplugged the crock pot to let the meat cool off before putting it back in the fridge, well....when I woke up this morning, I realized that I forgot to put it back in the fridge. Is it still good and safe to eat?

educatortech :

Unfortunately, these meats enter the danger zone after two hours when in the 40-140 degree temperature range

educatortech :

I would highly recommend that the meat be discarded - if it was more like 3 hours it would probably still be okay, but meat left out overnight is not going to most likely be safe for consumption as that has allowed time for staph and other bacteria to invade

educatortech :

many of these would not be killed even if zapped well in the microwave

educatortech :

There is no real way to test for these bacteria without someone getting sick from them

educatortech :

Sorry for the bad news - I would be HIGHLY reluctant to eat the meat left out that long....

educatortech :

Have a wonderful day and Happy New Year... let me know if you need followup

educatortech :

Please be sure to hit ACCEPT as that is the only way I receive credit for my help today.