Anna
Anna, Teacher, writer, biologist
Experience:  Great research skills, variety of work experiences, teaching experience.
Type Your Question Here...

Will "palm kernel" rust the underside of a steel roof?

Category: General
Expert:  Anna replied 2 years ago.

I have a degree in science (minor in chemistry), and I'll be happy to help you. Rust occurs as the result of a chemical reaction between oxygen that is dissolved in water and iron. Iron oxide forms, which is what we call rust. If by palm kernel, you mean palm kernel oil, that would not cause rust to form on any steel surface. Only oxygen dissolved in water can do that.

If you have more questions about this,or you were referring to some other type of palm kernel, let me know by clicking on REPLY.

Anna

(If you find my answer helpful, please click on the green ACCEPT button. Thank you.)
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

More information on Palm Kernel extract below.

What is Palm-Kernel Meal?

• PKM is a ground meal by-product left after palm oil has been extracted from the palm tree kernel. This material comes from the Asia/Pacific region.
  • PKM is a high density meal that is also a good source of some minerals as phosphorus and magnesium.
  • PKM is a medium fermenting product of good digestibility.

The benefits of using Palm-Kernel Meal

• PKM can be included at 10-25% of the total cows diet.
  • PKM provides extra protein and fat in summer when pasture protein and digestibility can be low.
  • PKM will help all stock gain and maintain weight and will raise milk fat test.
  • PKM can be used as by-pass protein source to help fertility and mating.
  • Palatability of PKM can be improved by using aniseed flavours and mixing
  • For winter milkers, PKM provides a cheap source of top-up dry matter to balance slower growing and less available grass in the winter months.

How to feed Palm-Kernel Meal

• For cows, levels of 2-6 kgs/day can be fed. Ensure cows have good appetites as some replacement of pasture may occur
  • Combine with grains and molasses for best results
  • PKM compliments low protein and high energy potatoes, maize silage and some grains.
  • Cows will initially find PKM relatively unpalatable if fed by itself in in-shed feeding systems.
  • PKM is best introduced to cows in troughs and/or mixed with other more palatable inputs (silage, grains, by-products, potatoes etc).
  • Cows will eat straight PKM once they become accustomed to it (after about 10-14 days)
  • When feeding PKM ensure animals have access to fresh water at all times.

Nutrient specifications

Palm Kernel is a medium protein source and a medium energy source.

Protein 17-18 DM basis
Energy Ruminants 11.7 MJ/kgDM
Poultry AME 11.5 MJ/kg As Fed
Pigs DE 12.5 MJ/kg As Fed
Crude Fibre 17.5 %
NDF 65 %
Dry Matter 87 %
Fat 8-10 %
Ash 4.5 %

Expert:  Anna replied 2 years ago.
If the palm kernel meal was in water, the oxygen dissolved in that water could cause rust. There is nothing in the meal itself that could result in rust. It could conceivably cause discoloration of a rusty color, but it would not be actual rust. The only way to form rust is for oxygen to react with iron to form iron oxide. This link will take you to a scientific explanation of the formation of rust.

If you ahve a situation where you believe the meal caused a problem, an explanation of it would be useful. Thank you.

Anna
Anna, Teacher, writer, biologist
Experience: Great research skills, variety of work experiences, teaching experience.