Martin, Engineer
Experience:  i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting
Type Your Question Here...

Somehow, I think you might know the answer to this... b/c of

Somehow, I think you might know the answer to this... b/c of wedding gifts.
I just bought some cookware that is 18/10 stainless steel. I think those are good numbers, but I'm not sure.
1) Is 18/10 a good number?
2) What do the numbers stand for?
Thanks,
Holly
Category: General
Expert:  Martin replied 2 years ago.
Hello Holly, welcome to Just Answer.

1) Yes, standard for quality. 18/8 is less quality and 18/0 is even subject to rust.

2) 18% chromium and 10% nickel.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your answer!
Is there a higher quality than 18/10?
Thanks,
Holly
Expert:  Martin replied 2 years ago.
Not really. It's a compromise. You could go for super good eat distribution, total non chemical reaction using pure gold but those would be expensive and not as mechanically resistant.

Chromium and Nickel can change taste if too much is added and can even affect health if concentration is too high.

The "18/10" is an old designation and those are now replaced by the 300 series stainless steel family naming. They keep the 18/10 because consumer know this. The nickel is what keep it from rusting and i never saw that grade rust. It could probably rust if used in a turbine with lot of heat and micro cavitation or in chemical company plant, but in your kitchen you will be fine.

You can get lighter Titanium based pan but those are only good for camping as they don't keep the heat as much due to their lower mass and weaker heat distribution.

18/10 is very fine, especially if you have a copper or aluminum coating under it (as it really help to have an even heat distribution).
Martin, Engineer
Experience: i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
lol! Martin, you are a riot. Love your dry sense of humor.

Thanks for taking the time to 'splain it all and make me smile at the same time.

Now, I'll have to get rid of my turbine dishwasher, but it's all for a good cause.

Best,
Holly