Anna, Teacher, writer, biologist
Experience:  Great research skills, variety of work experiences, teaching experience.
Type Your Question Here...

Email circulating about electric cars having been available

Email circulating about electric cars having been available for a long time. But not for sale, for rent. They were recalled and destroyed. It says petrol driven vehicles are only here because of the power of the oil companies et al.

General Motors had one in 1996 and Nissan in 1997.

The PPS is caledl Elektro auotos 11

Is this true??
Category: General
Expert:  Anna replied 4 years ago.

I apologize that no one has responded to your question sooner. Different experts come online at various times. I just came online and saw your question.

This is an interesting question. Actually, electric cars have been around much longer than what you suspect. Back in the 1830's, an inventor named XXXXX XXXXX invented an electric 'carriage.' From that point on, there were many experiments with electric vehicles, and in 1891, an Iowan named XXXXX XXXXXon produced the first working electric car in the USA. By 1897, the city of New york was actually using electric taxis. In the early 1900's, a good share of the cars on the road (which wasn't very many) were powered by electricity. In 1908, Henry Ford came out with the gas-powered Model T. Drivers preferred the gas-powered version of cars because th electric ones had to be hand-cranked. From there, the gas powered-ones became the norm.

In the 1970's, people became interested in electric cars again because of the shortage and expense of gasoline, but the cars never became popular. There is no way to prove that the oil companies set out to ruin the electric car, or that any cars were destroyed, but there are persistent rumors about this. Here are some websites where you can read detailed histories of electric cars:

I hope this helps. If you have more questions about this, let me know by clicking on REPLY.

(If you find my answer helpful, please click on the green ACCEPT button. Thank you.)