JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Consultant
Experience:  Skilled at assisting with general information needs.
14211116
Type Your Question Here...

Need help cooking a 14 lb. beef top sirloin... Hello, I

Need help cooking a 14 lb. beef top sirloin...

Hello, I cook small 4-6 lb beef roasts for my family all the time in my crock pot, but I have never cooked a 14lb piece before. I've never heard of a "beef top sirloin" cut either. Is that basically a roast too? I just want to make it easy and throw it in a crock pot and make gravy after to make it easy. If the piece of meat fits in my crockpot, can I go ahead and cook it in there? And if so, do I put my crock pot on high or low? If you recommend cooking it in the oven, I can do that to, but could you also give me specific cooking instructions on how to do that? Cover with foil, what temp, how long? Any advice you can give me would be greatly appreciated as I am a novice cook. I was just given this cut of meat to cook for a large christmas potluck for church and don't want to screw it up because the church bought the meat for me to cook. PLEASE HELP :)
Category: General
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer!

In 2002, Cooks Illustrated published an excellent guide on the different beef roasts. You can access it here: http://www.cooksillustrated.com/images/document/howto/ND02_BeefRoasts.pdf

Don't worry when you open up the PDF document. Yes, there are some technical errors on it and some of the data is cut off.

The top sirloin is a cut with excellent flavor at an affordable price. It's described as "This cut has big beefy flavor. Aside from the vein of gristle that runs through it, which we found slightly unpleasant to eat, the roast was tender and juicy."

Yes, it is a roast. Yes, you can put it in the crock pot. You want to do it low and slow. It will take longer but you've got that gristle in there ..... the low and slow will help ensure a tender finished product.

Also, note, if your gathering is not going to be big enough for the 14 pounds, you can cut the roast in half now. Cook one half as you normally would and put the other half in the freezer to use at a later date.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. If you have a follow-up question, please reply and ask it.

If you are satisfied that your question has been answered, kindly select the ACCEPT button to close this thread and so that I receive credit for assisting you today.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you... I will jump on that website right now.. In the meantime, I just foud out my crockpot is not big enough to fit the roast and I do need to cook the entire roast for the party. If you have this knowledge can you please guide me as how to cook it in the oven with specific directions and I will be happy to accept your answer? Thank you kindly...
No problem, this link will give you the step-by-step directions that you want: http://www.themeatsource.com/topsirloinroast.html

When you're roasting it, you may want to set the roast on top of some vegetables (e.g., pot, then whole carrots and celery, and the roast sitting on top) so that the bottom does not burn).

If you don't already, make sure that you get a meat thermometer. They're not that expensive and can be found in most grocery stores where the pans, baking tools, etc. are displayed.

If you have a follow-up question, please reply and ask it.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Overall the instruction on that link were very helpful, but doesn't give directions on how long to cook per pound. I do have a thermometer, but could you tell me approximately how long I should cook it uncovered at the low temp and then how long to cook it covered at the high temp? Should I also put some water or broth in the bottom of the pan to help keep the roast moist?
You really have to work by the internal temperature of the meat.

If you were to go at 300 degrees, a sirloin roast of 8- to 12-lbs will take 16-20 minutes per pound for rare, 20-22 minutes per pound for medium rare, 23-25 minutes per pound for medium, and 26-30 minutes per pound for well done.

Understand, however, the size and shape of the meat, the amount of fat and bone, how the meat was aged and other factors affect how long it should cook.

More and more cookbook authors have given up the practice of putting a roasting chart in their books.

And, don't forget to budget time after you pull the roast out of the oven to let the meat rest before you start slicing it.

JB Umphrey, Consultant
Experience: Skilled at assisting with general information needs.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you again for your advice so far. If you don't mind, I'd prefer your live on-line advice, rather than rely mainly on these websites since you know my specific situation. I do understand what you're saying, in that I need to really focus on the internal temperature, but your time guidelines were also helpful. I will put some veggies at the bottom of the pan like you suggested and should I also put some broth or water on the bottom to help keep the bottom from burning and to keep the roast moist? Should I cover the roast with foil for those first few hours or or leave it uncovered until the thermometer reaches 110 and then cover and cook on high for the last little bit of time? Please please please... specifics.. I need as much advice to have success here... Only one chance at making this right... Thank you again for your advice and patience
You can start it with 1/2 cup a water and see how well your roast starts to juice on its own as the fat begins to melt, etc. The veggies are also a natural water source.

You should not have to cover it in the oven.
JB Umphrey, Consultant