Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

How can a homeschooler apply for community college without

How can a homeschooler apply for community college without an official diploma?
Hello, and thanks for requesting me to answer your question.

You can have the parent or person who homeschooled the student fill out a diploma, asserting that he/she has completed the required courses. Please see additional information about homeschoolers and diplomas, below:
http://www.hslda.org/highschool/diploma.asp

Some Community Colleges will allow you to enroll without an 'accredited' High School diploma if you were homeschooled, but they may require you to take placement tests to demonstrate your level of knowledge in certain subjects. It would be best to contact the specific community college(s) where you want to take courses, and find out what they require, before you enroll.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns by clicking "Reply".

I hope you have found this answer helpful; if so, please click 'ACCEPT', as this is the only way I am compensated for helping you (although you have made a deposit/have a subscription, no payment is released to the Expert until you click 'Accept').

Positive Feedback and Bonuses are always welcomed and appreciated.

**Please request me in the future by typing "FOR CHER" to begin your question**

Best regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I would like to go to a community college/CEGEP in Montreal because I have an interest in the French language (I'm a U.S. citizen). Would the differences in the education system there further complicate my situation? I'm 24 years old and would be considered a "mature student."

I apologize if this is considered a separate question. I really do appreciate your help (and will leave a bonus and feedback). Thank you very much.
Hi again, and thanks for your reply with additional information about your situation.

No apologies necessary; I am happy to help you as best I can! : )

I do feel that wanting to attend a community college in Montreal without having an official H.S. diploma, may further complicate your situation; however, on the other hand, it might be in your favor. It seems that being a 'mature' student may also be in your favor. Have you requested materials from the college you're interested in attending, including course listings and admissions requirements? If not, that would be a good first step. When you find out what they require, and how you can prove that you received a High School education, albeit not in a traditional public/private institution, you will be able to plan what you need to accomplish before attending the college. Contact the admissions office and ask how homeschoolers gain admittance into CEGEP, if homeschooling also takes place in Montreal/Canada.

I'm impressed that you are interested in the French language (being a language teacher, myself) and Quebec is definitely the place to be, if you can't study in France! : )

Best regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you very much for the assistance, you've been a big help! I'll be sure to come to you directly next time I need an answer :) .

BTW, might I ask which language you teach?
Hello again, and you are most welcome!

It's my pleasure to be of help to you and yes, please feel free to request me by name, next time you need assistance! : )

Your accept and most generous bonus are greatly appreciated!

My specialties are Spanish and English as a Second Language, but I also know French and Italian. I love the romance languages! : )

Best regards XXXXX XXXXX of luck to you!

Happy Holidays!
Cher