JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Consultant
Experience:  Skilled at assisting with general information needs.
Type Your Question Here...

I have ordered sets of cork coaster frames, to be filled with

I have ordered sets of cork coaster frames, to be filled with around 8 wine corks per unit.
I'm assuming the corks will soak up moisture from glasses rested on the coasters; will this eventually lead to mildewing of the corks? If so, is there something I should dip the corks in before gluing them into the frames?
Thank you for using JustAnswer!

How do you plan to store the coasters when they are not being used?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I've bought five sets to provide as gifts; I'm not sure where the other four people will keep them but our set would either be kept in a kitchen drawer when not being used, or the two that my wife and I would use regularly may just remain on the end tables where we will use them (though we would put them away if guests were coming and then bring them out as necessary). Depending on your recommendation, I can include a note with the gift sets suggesting what they should do re: storage. Thanks!
If you add anything to the cork, the cork will just absorb it and expand...and then freeze in that expanded state when the substance hardens.

So long as they are allowed to air dry after use, you're fine.

You really do not want to add any type of sealer to the cork because they will expand in size and that will just propel the water onto the table surface....precisely what the user wants to avoid.

Remember, you've never seen a moldy cork when a wine bottle has been uncorked!

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. If you have a follow-up question, please reply and ask it.

If you are satisfied that your question has been answered, kindly select the ACCEPT button to close this thread and so that I receive credit for assisting you today.