Patience
Patience, Internet Researcher
Experience:  MA Clinical Psychology; BS Health Sciences
61840635
Type Your Question Here...

I am considering have a Black Walnut Log sawn for Resale.

I am considering have a Black Walnut Log sawn for Resale. It is 18" diameter and about 16' long. What kind of cuts should be made for best re-sale value.
Category: General
Expert:  Patience replied 5 years ago.

Patience :

Black walnut logs awaiting transport.

Black walnut logs (Jerry Misek).
Full Size Image

Hi- Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question.

In general, the larger the tree's diameter and usable height and the freer it is from defects, the greater its price. Depending on these factors, a tree may have no value for lumber, or it may be worth hundreds of dollars. But I’d advise you not to do the cutting yourself. Mistakes over cut ting the log properly can be costly, and once it is cut, you are at the mercy of the market for that type of product. According to the Missouri extension service, “Although it would appear that sellers could save money by cutting and selling their own walnut, this is rarely the case. Few landowners have the skill or product knowledge to make proper judgment in harvesting and marketing walnut trees. Questions about prices, log lengths and diameters needed, as well as log-quality specifications, may be answered differently for each sale. ”

Your best bet is to check in with your local extension service or forester to get some sense of the value of the wood and what it is best used for. If it is of good quality, then the buyer will be apt to cut have the wood cut to specifications at a mill. The following PDF is a good overview of what you need to know to make the best profit on the wood: http://learningstore.uwex.edu/assets/pdfs/G3297.PDF For further discussion, you may want to check out this link to a woodworking group forum that talks about the harvest of black walnut wood: http://www.woodweb.com/cgi-bin/forums/forestry.pl?read=512463

I am happy to supply clarification as needed. Please click the green ACCEPT button so that I can receive credit for my work. Positive feedback and bonuses are always greatly appreciated!