Joan
Joan, Internet Researcher
Experience:  I believe that knowledge is Power! I would like to try to share my knowledge with others.
5071285
Type Your Question Here...

Can someone please tell me what this fur is? I was told by

Can someone please tell me what this fur is? I was told by the person that gave it to me it is Sable. I need help! Thank you!
Category: General
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 2 years ago.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Hello. I can assist you with your question.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

This is what you are wearing.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Full Size Image

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

males measure 38–56 cm in body length, with a tail measuring 9–12 cm, and weighing 880–1800 grams. Females have a body length of 35–51 cm, with a tail length of 7.2–11.5 cm. The winter pelage is longer and more luxurious than the summer coat. Coat in this context normally means on them.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

This is what they look like after being converted

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Full Size Image

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

This is Marie Antoinette wearing a pouf trimmed with Sable.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Full Size Image

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

The term has become a generic description for some black-furred animal breeds, such as sable cats or rabbits.

Customer:

So do you think I can call this "unsheared" or "longhair" sable? What is the term?

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

It depends whether it is sheared or not

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

This might be helpful

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

How to identify Furs.

Customer:

Sorry, none of that really helped. I've looked at all the internet sites. I just think it is more like timberwolf or something. Just not sure but thanks anyway.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Really? None of it helped? I answered the questions you asked. Oh... you have added pictures?

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Goodbye.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

How to identify Furs.

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Joan replied 2 years ago.

Does this look like your coat:

Please let me know. There may be some differences as some pelts are different as well as some are bleached or dyed. Joan

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not really, there are three or more colors in this coat. I read that Sable can have these "outer hairs" and that's all I can figure out or it is like timberwolfe or something. I just have not been able to figure it out and I'm usually good at research. Thanks.
Expert:  Joan replied 2 years ago.

This coat that I posted is a full length Sable Coat. If the coat has different pellets it is possible that is Sable. This also may be what is called a Sapphire mink coat. That would Account for the dark bands in the coat. One last possibility as it could be a Silver Fox coat.

I can tell you that it does not look like the coat was properly stored. My mother has a Sable Jacket that did look a lot like your coat, but she used to have it specially stored and treated during the summer months at a Furrier. If this is not done the pelts can become de-shelved and even discolored.

This very well may be a Sable coat, but just poorly maintained. Joan

Joan, Internet Researcher
Experience: I believe that knowledge is Power! I would like to try to share my knowledge with others.