Joan
Joan, Internet Researcher
Experience:  I believe that knowledge is Power! I would like to try to share my knowledge with others.
5071285
Type Your Question Here...

Can someone please tell me what this fur is? I was told by

Can someone please tell me what this fur is? I was told by the person that gave it to me it is Sable. I need help! Thank you!
Category: General
Expert:  Michael Hannigan replied 5 years ago.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Hello. I can assist you with your question.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

This is what you are wearing.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Full Size Image

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

males measure 38–56 cm in body length, with a tail measuring 9–12 cm, and weighing 880–1800 grams. Females have a body length of 35–51 cm, with a tail length of 7.2–11.5 cm. The winter pelage is longer and more luxurious than the summer coat. Coat in this context normally means on them.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

This is what they look like after being converted

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Full Size Image

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

This is Marie Antoinette wearing a pouf trimmed with Sable.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Full Size Image

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

The term has become a generic description for some black-furred animal breeds, such as sable cats or rabbits.

Customer:

So do you think I can call this "unsheared" or "longhair" sable? What is the term?

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

It depends whether it is sheared or not

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

This might be helpful

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

How to identify Furs.

Customer:

Sorry, none of that really helped. I've looked at all the internet sites. I just think it is more like timberwolf or something. Just not sure but thanks anyway.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Really? None of it helped? I answered the questions you asked. Oh... you have added pictures?

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

Goodbye.

XXXXX XXXXXnigan :

How to identify Furs.

Expert:  Joan replied 5 years ago.

Does this look like your coat:

Please let me know. There may be some differences as some pelts are different as well as some are bleached or dyed. Joan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Not really, there are three or more colors in this coat. I read that Sable can have these "outer hairs" and that's all I can figure out or it is like timberwolfe or something. I just have not been able to figure it out and I'm usually good at research. Thanks.
Expert:  Joan replied 5 years ago.

This coat that I posted is a full length Sable Coat. If the coat has different pellets it is possible that is Sable. This also may be what is called a Sapphire mink coat. That would Account for the dark bands in the coat. One last possibility as it could be a Silver Fox coat.

I can tell you that it does not look like the coat was properly stored. My mother has a Sable Jacket that did look a lot like your coat, but she used to have it specially stored and treated during the summer months at a Furrier. If this is not done the pelts can become de-shelved and even discolored.

This very well may be a Sable coat, but just poorly maintained. Joan

Joan, Internet Researcher
Experience: I believe that knowledge is Power! I would like to try to share my knowledge with others.