Ellen, Consultant
Experience:  attorney and legal researcher
Type Your Question Here...

Why would unclaimed proprty go to 3 divices named in will instead

Why would unclaimed proprty go to 3 divices named in will instead of my brother and I who inherited everything.
Category: General
Expert:  Ellen replied 4 years ago.

internetanswers :

Welcome to JustAnswer and thank you for the opportunity to provide you with information..

This depends - can you please tell me more about the matter?

My parents had a will together leaving all to my brother and me. My mother died 13 year ago and Dad 10 years ago. Dad added 3 devices to his will. These were satisfied. Now attorney is telling me that the 3 devices would get money from unclaimed property not my brother and me. Don't understand this.

internetanswers :

Thank you for your explanation. I do not understand the attorney's reasoning. If the specific devices were satisfied, any additional monies or assets would pass to the residuary beneficiaries. Based upon the information in your post your brother and yourself appear to be the residuary beneficiaries – you share the balance of the estate after the specific devices.

internetanswers :

You may want to consider retaining another attorney to reviewyour father's will and the unclaimed funds. Here is a link to a free legal referral site that may assist you in locating competent local counsel:

internetanswers :

Please use the REPLY button if you have any questions concerning my answer. Otherwise please click ACCEPT so that I am paid by the site for answering.