Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

Concerning Commercial Drivers License; It seems just mentioning

Concerning Commercial Drivers License;
It seems just mentioning that I am diabetic has raised some flags for a DOT physical. I monitor and control my glucose levels with diet and exercise. Is there a form that I could get from my doctor that would allow me to renew my license for 4 years instead of just 1 year?
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 5 years ago.
Hello, and welcome to Just Answer.

In which state do you live?

In the past, have you renewed your license for 4 years, and now, due to the diabetes, they want you to renew every year?

Thanks for all your additional information, as this will enable me to provide you with the most complete answer.

Regards,
Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 5 years ago.
Hello again,

The requirements for the DOT CDL physical are listed here:
http://www.greatcdltraining.com/driver-solutions-program/dot-physical

As you can see, if you are diabetic, you are not permitted to be a driver if you are on injected insulin, but are permitted to be on oral medication to control your glucose levels, and/or control it with diet and exercise, as you described is true in your case; in addition, your blood glucose level must remain below 200.

You can ask your doctor to write you a note verifying that you are indeed diabetic but your glucose is controlled with diet and exercise, but the DOT will probably require you to have a physical once a year, not every four years, due to your diabetic condition and wanting to test you to make sure nothing has changed/worsened in your physical health. Unfortunately, there is not a form your doctor can fill out guaranteeing that your diabetic condition will not change within four years.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns by clicking "Reply".

I hope you have found this answer helpful; if so, please click 'ACCEPT', as this is the only way I am compensated for helping you (although you have made a deposit, no payment is released to the Expert until you click 'Accept'). Your Positive Feedback is also always greatly appreciated, and Bonuses are welcomed.

Thank you for the opportunity to be of help!

Best regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My hopes are to be able to renew my CDL for 4 years but still have to have the DOT physical once-a-year. Is that possible?
Expert:  Cher replied 5 years ago.
Hi again, and thanks for your reply.

Please allow me some time to research this for you and I will get back to you shortly.

Regards,
Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 5 years ago.
Hi again,

It would be helpful to know the state where you live, as each state has different regulations.

Thanks,
Cher
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I live in New Mexico
Expert:  Cher replied 5 years ago.
Hi again, and thanks for that information.

Please allow me some time to check on the regulations for this.

Thanks,
Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 5 years ago.
Hi again,

The following information should be of help, directly from the NM department of motor vehicles site:
http://www.mvd.newmexico.gov/Commercial-Services/Pages/Commercial-Services-FAQs.aspx

This has more information re: the renewal of the CDL license:
http://www.dmv.com/nm/new-mexico/cdl-commercial-drivers-license-renewal

It's difficult to find the exact information you need from websites, but if you call the department of motor vehicles directly, you will be able to get more specific information about your particular situation:
1-888-683-4636

You can also contact them by email:
http://www.mvd.newmexico.gov/Contact-Us/Pages/Home.aspx

Best regards,
Cher