Anna, Teacher, writer, biologist
Experience:  Great research skills, variety of work experiences, teaching experience.
Type Your Question Here...

Hello! I have a cydonia (false quince) plant which this year

Hello! I have a cydonia (false quince) plant which this year has cropped heavily with small round yellow very hard fruits. They are falling now. Can I make edible quince jelly out of these fruits.?
Category: General
Expert:  Anna replied 4 years ago.

First, you need to determine exactly what plant you have. If it really is a cydonia, it is a true quince. The scientific name is Cydonia oblonga. there are two species referred to a false quince. They are Pseudocydonia sinensis and Pseudocydonia oblonga. None of them produce fruit that is toxic, but turning them into jelly varies from one type tot he next. From your description of the fruit, I believe you probably have Pseudocydonia oblonga. The fruits of this are hard and bitter. You can make jelly with them, but it will require more sugar than true quinces. You'll also need to cook the fruit to make it tender, and for jelly, strain it. It is very seedy. While making jelly from this fruit can eb done, and the end product can be tasty, it is a considerable amount of work. Some people do enjoy the process, though, and you may be one of them. The following website has step-by-step instructions, including photos:

If you need anything else, let em know by clicking on REPLY. I wish success with your jelly-making.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Actually I'm pretty sure it is Cydonia Japonica, as it has masses of red flowers in Spring. Can I still make the fruit into jelly? Pen
Expert:  Anna replied 4 years ago.
If it's a Japanese quince, which are mostly known for their flowers, it is another genus, Chaenomeles japonica. With the beautiful red flowers you described, that is most likely it. Because it is a quince, and is often abbreviated C. japonica in nurseries, it's easy to assume it is a Cydonia. However, the name doesn't matter, as these fruits are also considered edible. You'll have to adjust the sugar called for in any recipe to suit your taste because these are not as sweet as other species. They are seldom used in cooking, but there's no reason not to utilize them that way.