Steve
Steve, Consultant
Experience:  Sub vet, motorcycle enthusiast, Harley mechanic, father of 4 beautiful girls, educated in electronics and nuclear technology.
11090168
Type Your Question Here...

We have been having a series of small earthquakes in our area

We have been having a series of small earthquakes in our area in California (Berkeley). I have PTSD from surviving a deadly earthquake when I was 14yo. I am wondering whether a cluster of earthquakes on our local fault might be a predictor of a larger quake to come soon. Is this a pattern that is ever seen before large quakes? Any info will be appreciated.
Francesca

Francesca,

small quake swarms do not typically precede a large earthquake on a given fault line.

the small quakes actually relieve the stress on the fault and, usually, indicate a larger quake is being delayed.

Steve