Anna
Anna, Teacher, writer, biologist
Experience:  Great research skills, variety of work experiences, teaching experience.
6012901
Type Your Question Here...

I HAVE A MOUND OF DIRT THAT SUDDENLY APPEARED IN MY SIDE YARD

I HAVE A MOUND OF DIRT THAT SUDDENLY APPEARED IN MY SIDE YARD ABOUT 2 FEET BY 1 FOOT ABOUT 6 INCHES PLUS HIGH. WHAT COULD BE UNDER IT IT DOESN'T APPEAR TO BE ANTS?
Category: General
Expert:  Anna replied 5 years ago.

There are several possibilities. It will help to know in what state do you live?

Does the mound seem to be made of soil?

Thank you.

Anna
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I LIVE IN THE ALBANY NEW YORK AREA AND THE MOUND IS SOIL
Expert:  Anna replied 5 years ago.
There are several possibilities for what this mound could be. There are ground squirrels in your area, and they do leave mounds. Here is a photo of one for you to compare:

graphic

This is my first suspicion for what the mound is. Another possibility is that a turtle has chosen this spot in which to hibernate. They bury themselves in soil. This is especially likely if the mound is near a large rock, a bush, or the foundation of your home.

Finally, a larger animal, such a s a dog, may have buried something there. If you want to know for sure, you could carefully remove a little of the soil at a time. If you come across a turtle, don't disturb it, but gently cover it up again. If you find nothing at all, it is most likely the work of a ground squirrel.

Anna

(If you find my answer helpful, please click on the green ACCEPT button. Thank you.)