Family Physician, Internet Researcher
Experience:  Researching answers to questions online for 20+ years.
1304720
Type Your Question Here...

Has any one ever heard of a prison volunteer being hurt in

Has any one ever heard of a prison volunteer being hurt in any way by inmates, ever, in any prison, any where? If so, please mention prison, incident, and date (approx is good enough). Thanks.
Category: General
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks, that's a good one but only an "almost". She was murdered in her home when he was OUT of prison. I am looking for details of some harm happening to a prison volunteer while the volunteer is IN the prison.

The article does give me a clue that such an occurrence would be extremely rare; "....(he) became a pariah for hurting one of the precious few who bring a bit of the outside world to inmates..." (paraphrased). The word 'pariah' struck me.

Thanks!
Expert:  Family Physician replied 3 years ago.
I have not been able to find any documented cases. As the article I provided suggested, attacks on prison volunteers are extremely rare, and the general inmate population are supportive of volunteers and would not be supportive of threats/attacks on volunteers.

If you are asking in regards XXXXX XXXXX about your own (or someone else's) safety as a prison volunteer, I belive that you are less likely to be injured while doing volunteer work in a prison than you might be walking down the street in many cities.
Family Physician, Internet Researcher
Experience: Researching answers to questions online for 20+ years.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am a prison volunteer. The inmates were saying the other night that they've never heard of any volunteer being hurt by an inmate, ever, anywhere... not even in all of the prison-grapevine folklore. Some of the guys have heard a LOT of folklore in the 100s of years they've collectively been in prison. So it made me curious: has a volunteer been hurt by an inmate? Certainly COs have been hurt/killed by inmates. But volunteers? I agree --- the odds of being hurt on the street are probably greater than the odds of my being hurt while in the prison.
Thank you for accepting my answer. Unfortunately, proving that it "never" happened is really impossible, but an extensive search has not revealed any cases.

You should be commneded for your work in prisons. We are all safer because of the work tha volunteers do in prisons.
Family Physician, Internet Researcher
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
As in all mathematics or science, even social science, proving a negative is nigh impossible. :-)

Thank you for trying.