Patience
Patience, Internet Researcher
Experience:  MA Clinical Psychology; BS Health Sciences
61840635
Type Your Question Here...

does anyone know if there are any alternatives to canceling

does anyone know if there are any alternatives to canceling the Basic Health program in the state of Wash to make up for budget shortfall?

Patience :

1. Instead of eliminating the program all together, the legislature can cut more people from its rolls. Other suggestions include:

2. the Senate’s proposal to start licensing “ cigar bars” and use part of the licensing fees for the Basic Health Plan.

3. the Governor and the Legislature propose to privatize liquor distribution to give the state a one-time infusion of 300 million dollars

4. Bring in other revenue by eliminating tax breaks such as those for some out-of-state shoppers, non-organic fertilizer, coal, cosmetic surgery, and private jets.

Also see the cost savings recommendations of the Governor's Advisory Work Group from Nov. 2010:

http://www.pugetsoundhealthalliance.org/documents/RecommendationsNovember2010_000.pdf

Patience :

Hi-sorry for the repeat in the answer. I live in Washington state and work in the arena of mental health, so I hope the governor and legilature can make some positive changes and not just do further harm. Thanks for your question. Please click on the ACCEPT button so that I can be credited for my work.

Patience :

Take care!