Jennifer SR
Jennifer SR, Consultant
Experience:  Professional Geologist, Exp. Manager, Great Research Skills
10868375
Type Your Question Here...

Whether Maui Island is becoming smaller due to more water of

Whether Maui Island is becoming smaller due to more water of ocean from global warming?

How far the shore line from oceant front buildings 10 or 20 years ago and what it will be 10 years later?
Category: General
Expert:  Jennifer SR replied 5 years ago.
Hello, what textbook are you using for this class? I found a paper on Maui and sea level change, but I'm wondering what references were provided to you by your instructor. Thanks!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I do not have any textbook. I want to know what is the change for the sea leval in Maui. Thank you. Jean
Hi Jean,

Based on the article I found, the sea level change in Maui is about 2 to 2.5 mm/yr over the past 50 years. The shoreline has a rate of retreat of about .3 m/yr (erosion plus sea level rise). Since 1949, Maui has lost about 8 km of shoreline and in the 20 years about 4.8 km of roadways will be affected.

This website offers erosion rates for different sections of the island. http://www.soest.hawaii.edu/coasts/erosion/maui/

Here is the link to the study that I referenced above. http://www.soest.hawaii.edu/coasts/publications/Norcross_SCD08.pdf

I could not find any information regarding the distance of ocean front buildings to the water.

I hope this helps.