Martin, Engineer
Experience:  i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting
14666028
Type Your Question Here...

As far as wind speed goes i was under the impression that the

As far as wind speed goes i was under the impression that the sun heats up the objects and they heat up the air causing it to raise creating wind. On AOL weather they have 0 mh then you click on hourly it says 8 mh for the same time 8mh. today in 95687 area code. They list 8mph at 8:00 7mph at 9 7mph at 10 4mph at 11 5 mph at 12 5mph at 1 ect. WHY is it 4mph at 11:00. what changed between 10 and 12:00

Actually, wind speed and wind is caused when air moves from areas of high pressure to areas of low pressure. It is not really caused by the heating of objects by the sun.

If you want to read a little more about this topic to gain a little better understanding, I would visit:

http://www.weatherquestions.com/What_causes_wind.htm

All the best. If you need more followup, reply back and I will get back to you right away. Please be sure to hit ACCEPT so that I receive credit for my response to you today.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
he said it wasn't the temperature of the air, it was goeing from high to low pressure and low to high that makes wind,but what makes air pressure high or low is the temperature.I was wanting to know why was it 4 mph after it was higher? What changed? the air must have got cooler to get higher airpresure to slow down the wind speed.
The other effect that would most likely account for the 4 mph difference is the effect of the moon on temperature (as it is our closest neigbor and greatly impacts our weather. The moon act on tidal movement and tide cause a significant part of wind
in coastal region. The moon also has a great impact on atmospheric pressure.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The 4mph difference is after the moon has been down for several hours. It's hard to see that having an effect.
What was the direction of the wind that you mention slowed down?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

7am 1mph nne

8-10 2mph n

11 4mph ene

12-1 3mph ene

2pm 2mph e

3 3mph ese

4 3mph se

5 4mph sse

my question is why did it go down to 2 at 2:00. What changed what made it go down at that time?

Those are really low amount of wind. At those speed atmospheric systems are close to stability and pure chaotic movement control them. One factor that will still dominate in a stable system will be tide (you are close enough to have an effect from the pacific).

Look at the tide from this link:
http://www.saltwatertides.com/dynamic.dir/californiasites.html
And check if the variation you notice correlate with tides. When in go up it should increase the west wind or reduce an already present east wind. When it go down, it should increase an east wind or reduce one that already come from the west.
Martin, Engineer
Experience: i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting