Patience
Patience, Internet Researcher
Experience:  MA Clinical Psychology; BS Health Sciences
61840635
Type Your Question Here...

I would like to know if schizandra berry -- also spelled schisandra

I would like to know if schizandra berry -- also spelled schisandra berry-- (schizandra chinensis) is, or is not, GRAS?

If schizandra berry has GRAS status, does this mean that ONLY the company who applied for and received the GRAS status is able to use schizandra in foods or drinks?

Or, once declared GRAS, can other manufacturers/marketers also use schizandra berry in foods and drinks?

Thanks for your help.
Category: General
Expert:  Patience replied 5 years ago.
Hi- Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question.

Schizandra berry is not one of the herbs on the GRAS list.

Once something is declared GRAS, it only means that it does not require further review by the FDA when sold singly or added to a formula. It does not give a manufacturer or marketer any kind of patent or trademark rights on the herb.

I'm happy to supply further clarification if needed. Please click the ACCEPT button so that I can receive credit for my work. Positive feedback and bonuses are always greatly appreciated!