Anna, Teacher, writer, biologist
Experience:  Great research skills, variety of work experiences, teaching experience.
Type Your Question Here...

I have zoysia grass lawn which started to die off in large

I have zoysia grass lawn which started to die off in large patches. Don't know why it started to die off. Now weeds are growing in the bare spots. What is the best way to restore the lawn?
Category: General
Expert:  Anna replied 5 years ago.

Some additional information will help me to answer your question.

In what area do you live?

Do the brown patches start out small and become larger?

When they first start out, have you noticed a ring of brown surrounding a green center?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I live in Pennsylvania

Patches started as small brown spots and grew bigger

Did not notice a ring of brown surrounding a green center

Problem started two years ago and have tried Grubb control (2 applications since then), but bare spots continue to grow larger.
Expert:  Anna replied 5 years ago.
Thank you for getting back to me. There are a couple of possibilities for what is happening. From what you have described, it sounds like your lawn may be suffering from what is appropriately called "brown patch." Once it affects zoysia it can be difficult to clear up. It is a fungal infection, so grubs won't have anything to do with it. To start with, you can find a lawn fungus treatment at a garden center and apply it now. The staff there can tell you which fungicide seems to be most effective in your area. You'll need to continue using it next spring.

Brown patch is most common on zoysia lawns that are fertilized in the summer. Fertilizing when daytime temperatures are over 80*F or night time ones are over 68*F helps the fungus proliferate. It's best to fertilize only during the cooler months.

Because the brown patches are growing larger, I strongly suspect brown patch, but Zoysia will also develop brown patches if drainage is poor so water stands in certain areas after rainfall or watering. Compacted soil is another cause. It can be difficult for a lay person to differentiate between these causes and actual brown patch. I suggest that you contact your County extension Agent for advice. There is no fee for the Agent's services, and they are very helpful. It is a government program. If you go to this site and click on your county, you can get contact information:

If you have more questions, let me know by clicking on REPLY. I hope you'll be able to restore your lawn.