Teacher Editor
Teacher Editor, Teacher
Experience:  I am a good researcher
19568076
Type Your Question Here...

Insurance question What type of insurance rate increase should

Insurance question: What type of insurance rate increase should I expect if I move from suburbua where my car is garaged (but driven every day to work) vs, a metropolitian area where I do not drive to work, use the car on weekends but have no garage?
Category: General
Expert:  Teacher Editor replied 5 years ago.

Linda Roch :

Hello and welcome! If you have any other questions, please let me know or please click Accept.

Linda Roch :

Your insurance rates are not based on how much you use the car but rather on the actuarial calculation of the rate of accidents in your area.

Linda Roch :

If you are moving from the suburbs to the city, your rate will depend on the city you live in, your age, the age of your car and your driving record.

Linda Roch :

It will be slightly more depending ont he city but it shouldn't be a whole lot more but it will not be based on how often you drive (since there is no way to document how often you drive for an insurance company) but rather on the risk of you getting into an accident where you live.

Customer:

If that's the case why does the company routinely ask you questions about whether the car will be used for drivng to work vs. pleasure? They also ask if the car will be garaged. You don't think either of those things are factors in the rate analysis?? (Isn't your mileage determined and noted at inspections and isn't that for insurance purposes?)

Linda Roch :

It factors into the acturial calculation but the main issue with moving into the city is the amount of accidents go up and that will be the major reason for your increase in rates if any.

Linda Roch :

You can also shop around as sometimes changing insurance companies works in your favor as they will try to get you as a customer and lower the rates.

Customer:

ok, thank you