Jesse Handel
Jesse Handel, Scientist
Experience:  B.S. Degree Chem. & Bact. 10 yrs tax preparation.
Type Your Question Here...

where on faas website did you gather this information so that

where on faa's website did you gather this information so that I can print it out from their website? I totally appreciate all the assistance I've received but just need need to print this out for my term paper. refering to the general question.
Category: General
Expert:  Jesse Handel replied 5 years ago.

Hello again. Thank you for accepting my previous answers and requesting my help with this question.

There were a number of websites and documents I reviewed last night on passenger identification. I will provide you the web links to the documents that I found useful. I hope you were able to open the report on the FAA website that I listed the web address for in my last posting. has a useful history of passenger screening and the no-fly lists has a GAO (Government Accounting Office) report on airline passenger screening that has some useful background about the creation of TSA and has some footnotes leading to other reports. Page 5 footnotes have web links to reports from 2000 about airline screening problems that may have more useful information for you. this is a blog that can't be directly cited, but it did clarify for me the changes between the FAA's AVSEC program pre-9/11 and the TSA's programs post-9/11. Actually it's interesting to note that people can still fly without showing identification if they submit to enhanced patdowns and searches (although given the near-strip searches and gropings carried out by TSA screeners routinely, the thought of enhanced patdowns boggles my imagination). provides information about security requirements and when aviation security was taken out of the hands of the FAA and turned over to the TSA after 9/11 as well as current security requirements. Searches for passenger screening and the sections on airline security requirements were both useful.

I also reviewed information from the Encyclopedia Britannica Online, but since this is a subscriber-only site, I can't give you the specific information. You can cite the Encyclopedia Britannica Online as a reference source, but only generally since you can't access the specific information unless you have a subscription.

I hope this helps. Unfortunately, I didn't keep track of all of the specific web pages I looked at last night, but I hope this information will enable you to produce a reference page your professor will accept. Some of the information has to be deduced based on negative information; e.g. since the TSA states that they first started requiring something in 2003, that provides proof that it wasn't required before then. You may have to point out to your professor that since many of the direct references are still classified and not available to the public, you had to work with indirect references.