Joan, Internet Researcher
Experience:  I believe that knowledge is Power! I would like to try to share my knowledge with others.
Type Your Question Here...

Can I grow a planted sago palm in S. Jersey

Can I grow a planted sago palm in S. Jersey ?
Category: General
Expert:  Joan replied 5 years ago.

Sago Palms are hardy and can be kept indoors and grown out doors in all different type of climates. There should not be a problem with keep the Sago In New Jersey in the area that you are describing. This link tells ablout Sago Palms:

One thing I do have to warn you about they are toxic to pets, so you do want to be careful around pets. Joan

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
do you think i should cover the plant if it gets beloww 20 , how bout snow on the leaves should they be cleared?
Expert:  Joan replied 5 years ago.

When it does drop below 20, I would cover with a sheet as that does prevent frost bite on the leaves. I would try and clear the snow off. The Sago palms have been around for 1000's or years and have been found to thrive in all types of climates, so I am sure that will do well with some preventative care if the weather gets too bad. Joan