Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Senior Informational Specialist
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

How would you go about finding a lost key Im in a real bind!

How would you go about finding a lost key? I'm in a real bind! Here's how it happened. A few hours ago, I misplaced my car key in the space of just a moment. I'd left my kids in the car with the babysitter for just a moment, and had run into my home to grab something. The kids had been really hard to deal with, and my head was spinning. I don't remember every detail of the rest, but I do know that I stopped momentarily in the living room then headed upstairs to the master bedroom. I found that my husband was available, and as I remember it, I happily handed him the key and told him to please take the kids to the farmer's market in my stead. A moment or two later, as he headed for the car, he told me that he didn't have the key. I said that I thought I'd given it to him; he said he didn't remember doing so. Fast forward a few hours later, after searches everywhere we could think of, including the ground outside of the house in front of the door, surfaces across the living room, the kitchen, the hallway, the upstairs bathroom and as much of the bedroom as we could manage. Now, we're desperate. Any thoughts on how to improve our search?
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 2 years ago.
Hi again, and welcome back to Just Answer.

I see you posted a couple of hours ago. Have you found the key or do you still need help with this?

If you still need help, can you tell me if you know for sure that you had the car key in your hand when you went back into the house?

Also, was the key just a single, separate key, or was it on a keychain of some sort and/or with any other keys?

Thanks,
Cher
Expert:  Martin replied 2 years ago.
The first thing to do is not not go everywhere. Start to make a mental map of where you surely not go. If you start to go everywhere you will doubt yourself that you indeed go there or there at one time and this will only increase the research area.

Also you must allow the possibility that the kids hidden the key.

Think of all the place you visited, stop there and do a full 360 and look around you. Don't change any object of place, just carefully lift them and look under and behind them.

Do the trajectory forward and also backward to give a different view point (you may also do it at different heights).

Things are often lost when we drop an object to take another one.
Martin, Engineer
Experience: i'm 41 and i never stopped studying and experimenting
Expert:  Cher replied 2 years ago.
Hi again,

If you still haven't found it, I suggest that you look inside the car between the seats, between the edge of the seat and the floor, near the door, in the 'pocket' of the door on the driver's side and also under the seats and near all other doors. If you have young children in car seats, check those, as well, and ask the children (if they're old enough) if they were holding the key or saw it anywhere. You didn't leave it in the ignition, did you? : )

Also, look on any 'hooks' where you may usually place your keys when you enter the house, as you may have placed it there, out of habit, when you walked back in. Also, check any tables (end table, coffee table, etc,) near the door or in any rooms you walked through before you encountered your husband. Did you stop for something from the fridge? Check there.

Check your pockets and your purse.

I hope you find the key! Please update me on your situation, if you can. Thanks!

I hope you have found this answer helpful; if so, please click 'ACCEPT', as this is the only way I am compensated for helping you (although you have made a deposit, no payment is released to the Expert until you click 'Accept'). Your Positive Feedback is also always greatly appreciated, and Bonuses are welcomed.

***If you wish to request me in the future, please type 'FOR CHER' at the beginning of your question***

Thank you for the opportunity to be of help!

Best regards,
Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience: M.A., B.A., Author, Senior Informational Specialist