Steve, Consultant
Experience:  Sub vet, motorcycle enthusiast, Harley mechanic, father of 4 beautiful girls, educated in electronics and nuclear technology.
Type Your Question Here...

motorcycle permit in cal if from texas

I'm from texas and I have a texas drivers license and I'm in cal on a family emergency while I'm here I plan on buying a motorcycle I want to get a motorcycle permit before returning home is this possible without having to surrender my TX DL. And I carry insurance in texas if I register the bike in ca can I have texas insurance
Category: General
Expert:  Steve replied 5 years ago.

you cannot get a California motorcycle license or permit without surrendering your TX license.

you may register the bike in any state and insure it through your TX insurance company.

your insurance company will need the VIN and license plate number.

it would probably be cheaper for you to trailer the bike back to TX, register it in TX and get your motorcycle license in TX.