Cher
Cher, Educator-40+ yrs
Experience:  M.A., B.A., Author, Information & Research Specialist
1470369
Type Your Question Here...

What do you use to get the terrible smell of smoke/fire out

What do you use to get the terrible smell of smoke/fire out of clothing, sheets, etc when the house has burned?
Category: General
Expert:  Cher replied 5 years ago.
Hello Marilyn, and welcome back to Just Answer.

You did the best thing by not washing/drying, until you were sure what to use, as drying especially, WILL set the smell forever!

There are various suggestions out there, but what most seem to agree works, is adding one cup of white vinegar OR 2 cups of vodka (yes, vodka) to the washload, with your regular detergent, and this should remove the smoke smell. If it does not remove it completely, before drying, run it through another wash with the same 'ingredients'.

Another suggestion is a product called 'Odoban', sold at Sam's Club; I've used this myself, and it is great at getting out all kinds of odors from clothes and linens. You can also try Oxyclean and use about 3-4 times the normal amount suggested for adding to the wash.

Use only one of these methods and don't mix products.

If you can dry the washed clothes outside on the line, this may also help, after washing them, as suggested.

I hope you're able to get the smoke smell out without too much trouble!

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns by clicking 'Reply'.

I hope you have found this answer helpful; if so, please click 'ACCEPT', as this is the only way I am compensated for helping you (although you have made a deposit, no payment is released to the Expert until you click 'Accept'). Your Positive Feedback is also always greatly appreciated, and Bonuses are welcomed.

***If you wish to request me in the future, please type 'FOR CHER' at the beginning of your question***

Thank you for the opportunity to be of help!

Best regards,
Cher
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

My computer has locked up and it is ve

ry difficult to read on my telephone. Do I not try to remove the oily soot any way b4 washing?
I guess I need 2wait4 computer to unlock in order 2finish this. I do like ur suggestions, but will have 2try them in order 2 know if they work. I will let u know. Thanks.
Expert:  Cher replied 5 years ago.
Hi again, Marilyn.

Ok, no problem. I hope your computer unfreezes, soon!

If there is oily soot on the clothing/linens, try soaking first, in the vinegar or vodka and laundry detergent solution in a small amount of water, in the machine before running the wash cycle. You can also try rubbing some laundry detergent onto the specific sooty spots before washing. Any clothes that are dry-cleanable should be dry cleaned, as this usually removes the smell/stains, too.

Best regards,
Cher