Joan
Joan, Internet Researcher
Experience:  I believe that knowledge is Power! I would like to try to share my knowledge with others.
5071285
Type Your Question Here...

i AM 46 YEARS OLD, SINGLE AND EMPLOYED BY PUBLIX SUPERMARKETS.

i AM 46 YEARS OLD, SINGLE AND EMPLOYED BY PUBLIX SUPERMARKETS. TO CUT EXPENSES I MOVED A FEW YEARS AGO INTO MY PARENTS HOUSEHOLD. I GAVE UP MY CAR AND FOR THE LAST THREE YEARS I WAS DRIVING ONE OF THEIR CARS AND WAS LISTED ON THEIR CAR INSURANCE. MY PARENTS WANT TO RETITLE THE CAR WHICH I AM DRIVING IN MY NAME AND WANT TO TAKE ME AND THE CAR THEY ARE GIVING ME OFF THEIR CAR INSURANCE. CAN I OBTAIN A POLICY IN MY OWN NAME AND CAN THE LIABILITY FOR MY CAR BE TAKEN FROM MY PARENTS EVEN THOUGH WE LIVE IN THE SAME HOUSEHOLD. MANY THANKS, XXXXX XXXXX (personal info edited by moderator). Yes I would be willing to pay a bonus of $60.00 to be taken out of the funds in my Just answer account. thank you
Category: General
Expert:  Joan replied 5 years ago.

Since you are of legal age, you can have the car transfered into your name and a new insurance policy in your name.

You will be required to carry PIP and Liability in the State of Florida. Once the car and insurance are all in your name there is no problem.

For Example if you are renting a room from someone in their home, they would not have the liability for your car. It is the same situation you may be living in the Family house, but the car is yours and the insurance is yours. You have the responsibility for the payment of the insurance, car, repairs and gas, so the liability falls on you.

I am very familiar with this since my son will be turning 18 and going to College. He will be living at home, but his car and insurance will all be put into his name. We will not be liable, as it is all his responsibility because he will be of legal age.

This is the Fl. Law for auto insurance: http://www.flhsmv.gov/ddl/frfaqgen.html

I hope this helps. Joan