Mr. Gregory White
Mr. Gregory White, Teacher
Experience:  M.A., M.S. Education / Educational Administration
46856550
Type Your Question Here...

if i buy something from an online auction and all proceeds

if i buy something from an online auction and all proceeds go to a 501 c 3 charity is this tax deductable???
Category: General
Expert:  Mr. Gregory White replied 5 years ago.
Yes, as long as it is a verified 501 (c)(3) charity, all donations would be tax deductible to the full extent of the law, even if in an online auction.

Be sure to hit the accept button so I receive credit for the question. Bonus and positive feedback appreciated is happy with my professional advice.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is there a limit on dollar amount? Its a 1500 dolar item and all proceeds go to firefighters charity and I want to write it off on next yrs taxes. They said they are a 501 c 3 charity and will send proof and a receipt but wouldnt advise if if it was tax deductable?
There is a maximum dollar amount that you can claim for tax deductions. This would be in the same category as church donations, etc. The amount you can deduct varies based on income and other factors and a tax expert would be needed in that regard.

They should be able to produce documentation when you win showing their status. If they say that they cannot provide their tax exempt status, then I would be leary of paying as it might not be ensured they are tax exempt. Anyone can say they are tax exempt but they need the documentation to back it up.